Friday, February 25, 2011

Views & Thoughts (Chee Yong)

It had been almost 3 years since I went to Fort Canning. The last time I went there was for a National Education trip for my National Service (NS). During that time, it was like a tour and I did not have the chance to explore it by myself. Unlike my previous trip, the current trip there with my group mates was fun and educational. Though tiring, but we managed to find all the 28 stations given to us and the trip allowed me to have a clearer picture of what happened in the past.


A lot of efforts were put in to conserve the park. Though majority of the buildings remained the same, the activities happening now are very different from the past. Fort Canning Park is no longer just a place for us to better understand our history; it is now a place full of commercial activity. Concerts were organized frequently there and boutique hotel was set up on the hill. Now, the people who visit Fort Canning are no longer British or Japanese military. Those who visit Fort Canning are the public and tourists who want to reminisce or learn about Singapore’s history.


Overall, through this experience, I was able to better understand the purpose of the various building in Fort Canning and knowing our history allows me to appreciate my life more as I do not have to experience the hardships that our ancestors went through.

No comments:

Post a Comment