Friday, February 25, 2011

Views & Thoughts (Yuchi)

Fort Canning Hill brings back memories.

When I was younger, my secondary school brought us on a similar tour of the Hill. However, it was all play and nothing really registered in me, except that when it rains, its really slippery and I have a scar to show for that.

When I was a little older, Fort Canning served as a shortcut, from the Dhoby Ghaut area to the Clarke Quay party haunts of mine. Once, I've spent some romantic times with a then-girlfriend of mine, chatting while we gazed at the beauties of the cityscape of Singapore River.

Most recently, Fort Canning's offerings of outdoor concerts, became a choice of entertainment hangout location for me and my friends.

This heritage trail of ours, takes me back to Fort Canning yet again. However, the context of the tour has 2 significants. Firstly, as part of our assessment for the History module. I must say that it brings us out of the classroom learning context, and into the Mother Nature (thanks to the mosquito bites). Secondly, it strikes me that there's much efforts done to preserve our history, where trees and buildings are conserved so that future generations are able to see the remains of our Past.

Well, I've enjoyed my trip to Fort Canning, and possibly will have a greater sense of appreciation when i next come to the Fort Canning Centre for another outdoor concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment